Saturday, June 15, 2013

June 9, 2013

Des Moines, Iowa
Camped at Timberline Campground in Waukee, IA

With an eye on the weather channel, we head north.  Along the way I'm struck by the changing roadside plants.  The coneflowers are wonderful!  I think about how hard I work to get them to grow in my garden in Atlanta, and here they are growing wild.

Next stop is Des Moines, my mother's hometown.  We are still a little behind schedule, so we're making this a quick stop, just overnight.  I was here last summer for my aunt and uncle's 60th anniversary.  I was really impressed with the city.  There is a surprising amount of public art all over downtown.  The botanical garden is diverse and lovely.  We were treated to free Shakespeare in an amphitheater by the river.  Rental bikes are available in several places (and you don't have to return them to their pick up place).  The streets are laid out well, and traffic is a dream, especially compared to Atlanta.  And the weekend farmer's market downtown is one of the best I've ever seen.

This trip we arrived late in the afternoon.  I wanted to visit my cousin Joyce Hines and her family, Bobby, Angie and Adrie.  A couple of phone calls and we all decide to meet at Baker's Square, known for their pie menu.  I order a custard pie.  yum.  It was so nice to see them all, and have them meet my family for the first time.  We spent the evening sharing family stories and catching up.  Joyce seemed especially interested in our road trip.  Angie said we'd better check our rig for a stowaway before we take off.  (You are welcome to join us any time Joyce.)  I don't know what was in Alex's pie, but he was in rare form...he was telling the silliest stories and being more open and animated than usual.  He had us all laughing.  It was truly a special evening.  And dopey me forgot to take a photo. :-\

The next morning I took Zoe out for my morning run.  We saw a deer on the driveway of the campsite.  Too cool.  After missing a couple of weeks of running during the house packing, it feels so good to be back into it.  Gordon has even started going with me.  So nice to have him along.

Afterwards, we drove into town again and did a quick tour.  I showed G and the kids the house where my mom grew up, as well as Joyce, and then her kids.  Very cool to have a house for 3 generations.  We went by the park where I remember going when we would visit my grandparents when I was a child.  And of course I showed them the impressive downtown. 
1010 Clinton
 
In front of the gold dome.
 

We packed up and left, heading west to Omaha.

No comments:

Post a Comment